Last Updated: Dec 22, 2014
1. Why does pch.com collect personal information?We need to collect certain personal information from our visitors primarily to process and fulfill online sweepstakes entries and online orders for the products and services we offer. For example, we need your full name, e-mail address and date of birth to verify eligibility and enter you in the sweepstakes, notify you if you've won a prize, to process and record coupon request and redemption activity and to send you any magazine subscription or product you may purchase. We may also use the personal data we collect for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes, and to report aggregate information to our marketing partners and others.
Why does PCH collect information from a user’s device? We need to collect certain device information so that we may ensure that you are being served the correct version of the app, so we are able to notify you that you have won a contest, so that we may determine which user has downloaded the application, users are then given a chance to win contests. We will collect the following information from a user’s device Android Device ID, Operating System Version, Flash Version, Browser Type, Service Provider, Mobile Device Model, Screen Resolution, Language, Country, City, and Mobile input selector (touch screen, etc.)
To provide our users with a more personalized and relevant web service, we also collect and use personal data to identify users' specific interests and needs. If given permission, we may notify our users online or via email of offers and information we feel may be of interest to them available from pch.com. Our online registration and entry page contains a clearly identified checked box indicating that by submitting the form you wish to receive offers from pch.com. Users may unsubscribe from such offers by clicking to remove the check in the permission notice box before submitting the registration and entry form. We may share our unsubscribe list with select marketing partners for the sole purpose of insuring that individuals on this list do not receive electronic commercial mail messages containing Publishers Clearing House advertisements that may be sent by such partners.
We send entrants a confirmation e-mail when they register for our sweepstakes or complete other transactions at our site. These confirmation e-mails are not promotional in nature and the user may not opt-out of receiving these transactional e-mails. If you are currently receiving commercial e-mail messages from Publishers Clearing House after previously providing permission and no longer wish to receive such offers you may unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link or the “EZ Unsubscribe” seal in any commercial e-mail from pch.com. You may also contact pch.com either through our “Ask Us” page in the Info Center section of pch.com or by writing directly to Christopher L. Irving,, Consumer & Privacy Affairs, pch.com, 382 Channel Drive, Port Washington, New York, 11050.
We send our PCH VIP mobile application users push notifications, to inform them of new drawings and alert them of third party offers that may be of interest to them. If you no longer wish to receive these types of communications, you may do so by turning this feature off at the device level.
We collect your location based information for the purpose of locating a place that you may be searching for in your area or alerting you to a special event in your area. We will only share this information with our mapping provider for the sole purpose of providing you the service. If you no longer wish to allow us to use this information you may turn it off at the device level.
From time to time, we post customer testimonials on our web site which may contain personal information such as the customer's name. We do obtain the customer's consent prior to posting these testimonials.
When you order gift subscriptions on our site, we will ask you for your friend or family’s contact information including name, mailing address and e-mail address. We will use this information only for the purpose that it was collected (i.e. to fulfill the gift subscription).
When you utilize the share feature located within our mobile application we will ask for your friend’s email address. We will use this information to send them a one-time email inviting them to visit and download the application.
2. How and what information does pch.com gather or track?We collect personal data from our users mainly during the initial registration process for sweepstakes entry and order processing. Although some of the personal identifying information is necessary to deliver these services (e.g., an address is required to buy goods and services from pch.com), in some cases some of the information is optional. Users can determine to some extent what information they wish to submit. In addition to the initial registration process, we may, from time to time, ask users to answer optional questions about products and services. We gather this data in order to better understand our users' interests and provide them with relevant offers and information.
Through the use of “cookies” “pixel tags” "flash cookies" (described below) and online survey and registration forms, we may collect personal data on, among other things, the following information:
· Demographic: age, gender, income level
· Technical: IP address, domain name, e-mail address, site traffic
· Reference: name and address, telephone number, password
· The website that referred you to us.
· The web pages you viewed on our site
· The advertisements you viewed and clicked on at our site.
· Coupon activity including the types of coupons that you choose.
When you access PCH offered applications at social media sites like Facebook you allow us to access certain information from your profile at those sites. For example, when you access a game or application using the Facebook Platform, Facebook will usually provide the application your User ID, as well your friends' User IDs (or your friend list). The information you allow us to access is affected by the privacy settings you have established at the social media site. You can control and find out more about these settings at Facebook at. http://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=privacy.
Additionally, if you download and install the coupon printing software we collect information about that device that helps us manage our products and services and detect and prevent coupon fraud. Instructions on uninstalling our coupon printer software are available at http://www.couponsinc.com/corp/source/u_uninstall.asp
“Pixel tracking“, a common process which may be used in connection with advertisements on other sites, involves the use of pixel tags that are not visible to the user of the site and consist of a few lines of computer coding. Pixel tracking measures the effectiveness of these advertisements and compiles aggregate and specific usage statistics. A "pixel tag" is an invisible tag placed on certain pages of websites you may visit and is used to track an individual user's activity. We may access these pixel tags to identify activity and interests that may allow us to better match our offers with your interests. For example, if you visit our Web site from an advertisement on another site, the pixel tag will allow the advertiser to track that their advertisement brought you to the PCH site. If you visit our website and we link you to another site we may also be able to determine that you were sent to and/or transacted with a third party web site. This data is collected for use in our marketing and research. Personal information about you is not collected by the third party advertising company, nor is any tracking information generated from the pixel tag allowed to be used by them for any other purpose other than to report web site activity to us.
We use local shared objects, also known as Flash cookies, to store your preferences such as volume control or high game score, or display content based upon what you view on our site to personalize your visit. Third Parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity, use Flash cookies to collect and store information.
Flash cookies are different from browser cookies because of the amount of, type of, and how data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here.
We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our Mobile Software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personal information you submit within the mobile application.
4. Does pch.com disclose user information to third parties?Except as otherwise noted in this policy, pch.com only discloses user information in aggregate form to marketing partners. For example, we might tell a marketing partner how many users visited pch.com over a period of time, but we will never tell them who it was that saw or clicked on their offer, unless that user has given us permission to do so.
We share our users Android ID with application tracking companies so that we can track whether a user has downloaded one of our Customer’s applications. We will share our unique ID for the user with our customer’s so that we are able to provide users with their prizes.
pch.com believes that consumers should be able to control the use of their data. Users always have the option whether to engage in offers presented on pch.com. In addition, the personal information our users provide to us may be combined with other personal information (such as demographic information and past purchase information) available from our records and other sources. We use a third party to verify your address, in order to process your order prior to shipping. This allows us and, with permission, to present our users with offers and information geared towards their interests. pch.com is not and cannot be responsible for the activities or privacy policies of these third parties.
We do not rent, license, or sell personal data to third parties. In the event of a merger, acquisition, or change of control of pch.com, customer data would be considered a business asset and would be transferred. We will disclose information we maintain when required to do so by law, for example, in response to a court order or a subpoena. We may also disclose personal information as required by law or to protect the safety and security of our users.
You should also know that when you order a magazine subscription from pch.com, we need to provide your name and address to the magazine publisher so they can start your service. Publishers may exchange or rent their subscriber names, typically to third party companies that match reader interests. If you do not wish to receive such offers, we suggest that you notify the publisher directly (the contact information is usually found in each magazine issue).
We use other third parties such as credit card processors and e-mail service providers to provide order fulfillment and e-mail delivery services on our site. When you register on our site, we will share your personal information as necessary for these third parties to provide these services.
These third parties are prohibited from using your personal information for any other purpose including their own marketing purposes.
Targeted or Behavioral Advertising: Targeted advertising (also known as Behavioral Advertising) uses information collected on an individual’s web browsing behavior such as the pages they have visited or the searches they have made. This information is then used to select which pch.com advertisement should be displayed to a particular individual on websites other than pch.com. For example, if you have shown a preference for cooking while visiting pch.com, you may be served an advertisement from pch.com for cooking related products when you visit a site other than pch.com. The information collected is only linked to an anonymous cookie ID (alphanumeric number); it does not include any information that could be linked back to a particular person, such as their name, address or credit card number. The information used for targeted advertising either comes from pch.com or through third party website publishers. If you would like to opt out of targeted advertising from pch.com that occurs when visiting our third party advertising publishers, please click here: Please note that this will opt you out of targeted ads from pch.com and any other participating advertisers. If you opt out, you will continue to receive online advertising from Publishers Clearing House; however, these ads may not be as relevant to you.
5. Can I opt-out of pch.com's data collection and/or distribution?Receiving email messages from pch.com, our affiliates and partners is optional. As noted earlier, the collection, use, and distribution of personal data helps us create a more personalized, relevant, and intelligent web service for our users. While some basic data is necessary to provide certain services, such as entry into the sweepstakes and fulfillment of products and services ordered through pch.com, there are some cases where the submission of information is optional.
We will not contact you with e-mail offers. If you are already receiving pch.com emails and no longer wish to receive such communications, simply follow the “unsubscribe” instructions that appear in every pch.com e-mail, or contact us through our “Ask Us” page found in our Info Center section or by writing directly to Christopher L. Irving, Consumer & Privacy Affairs, pch.com, 382 Channel Drive, Port Washington, New York, 11050.
7. Does pch.com allow users access to their information for review and updating?Users can access the personal information they have provided to pch.com for the purposes of reviewing and updating such information by following instructions in the "Your Account" section of the Site.
8. What does pch.com do to keep their site secure?We have implemented a number of security features throughout the pch.com site that are intended to prevent the unauthorized release of or access to the user information we collect online. For example, database information is firewall protected. Also, only authorized pch.com personnel have access to any stored personal information we collect from our users. Moreover, password and credit card information you submit to pch.com is always encrypted during transmission. Users should be aware that e-mail is not encrypted and is not considered a secure means of transmitting credit card numbers.
While we strive to create a secure and reliable site for our users, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted over the Internet cannot be 100% guaranteed. Users should keep in mind that any information submitted through an Internet transaction is potentially accessible to the public, and consequently, can be collected and used by others without their consent. pch.com is not responsible or liable for illegal interception of personal data via any Internet transaction. When we collect and transmit sensitive data such as your credit card number, we encrypt it using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
9. Does pch.com collect information from users outside of the United States?The pch.com site is not directed to visitors residing outside of the United States and such users are not eligible to submit online sweepstakes entries. However, as indicated in the Official Rules on the site, some sweepstakes promoted on the pch.com Site are open to residents of the U.K. and Canada. Residents from these countries can participate in these sweepstakes by sending a write-in entry to the address provided in the Official Rules. We regret that as a result of system limitations at this time non-U.S. residents may not order products through pch.com. If pch.com becomes aware that a user who does not reside in the United States has registered with the pch.com site, pch.com will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from its files.
10. Does pch.com collect personal information from children?The pch.com site is not targeted nor directed to children under the age of thirteen. PCH.com does not intend to collect personal information from individuals in this age group. If pch.com receives actual notice that a child under the age of thirteen has provided personal information to pch.com, pch.com will use reasonable efforts to remove such information from its files.
California Do Not Track: Because there is currently no industry or legal standard for recognizing or honoring DNT, we do not currently respond to DNT signals. We await the result of work by the privacy community and industry to determine when such a response is appropriate and what form it should take
12. What about Publishers Clearing House's off-line information and privacy practices?Publishers Clearing House collects certain personal information from our direct mail customers and entrants primarily to process sweepstakes entries and fulfill orders for the products and services we offer. For example, we need your full name and address to enter you in the sweepstakes, notify you if you've won a prize or to send you any magazine subscription or product you may purchase. We may also use the personal data we collect for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes, and to report aggregate information to our marketing partners and other third parties. From time to time we may share or exchange marketing information about the consumers who respond to our offers with other companies so they may contact you about products and services that may interest you.